Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Update on Macy

Yesterday was Macy's two week doctors appointment. Everything is going great with my baby girl except she is not gaining weight as quickly as the doctor would like. Her birth weight was 8 lbs 4 oz and yesterday she weighed in at 7 lbs 12 oz (last week she was down to 7 lbs 3 oz). Apparently, I am feeding Macy too much which is causing her not to gain adequate weight. Sounds backwards, right??! Well, Macy is basically using me as a human pacifier (I am not joking when I say she wants to feed all the time!) and is wasting too many calories by sucking. Since she is nursing non stop, my body doesn't have time to produce enough milk for her which explains her slow weight gain. The doctor told me to let her cry and only feed her every two to three hours and not on demand like I was. Sounds simple, but I am having the hardest time letting her cry. It breaks my heart to see her fussing. She makes the sadest little faces that just melts my heart! Thankfully I have Jason to help keep me strong. I have to bring Macy back to the doctors next week to weigh in. If she hasn't gained an acceptable amount of weight by then the doctor suggested I supplement formula at least once a day.

I will be sure to have an update next week on Miss Macy's weight gain!

No comments: