Monday, April 20, 2009

I had my first Ultrasound!!

I scheduled my first ultrasound on Friday April 17, 2009 (which is also my 28th birthday!). I found out my estimated due date is December 14, 2009 and I am 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant!!

I could hardly sleep the night before. I had a wide variety of emotions before hand. Needless to say I had never been that nervous in my life. I was so afraid that I would oversleep and miss my chance to get a glimpse of my growing baby inside me. I picked out and ironed my clothes the night before, set two alarms and had my keys and medical papers waiting for me at the door. I think I woke up every hour on the hour convinced I slept through my appointment. Finally, 6:00 A.M. rolled around and I began getting ready. I left the house a half hour early in anticipation that I would get lost on my way to my appointment. I definitely arrived early but I was went to the wrong room!! I didn't realize I was waiting in the wrong doctors office until 15 minutes past my appointment time!! So much for being prepared!! After I sorted out the confusion I quickly headed to the correct doctors office and they saw me immediately.

Unfortunately I got stuck with the least personable ultrasound tech in the state of Texas. She was very cold and not helpful at all. Actually, she down right freaked me out!! While doing the ultrasound she told me a few times she couldn't find the yolk sac. She then asked if I had any cramping, bleeding or if I thought I might have miscarried. I thought I was going to lose it when I heard the dreaded word of "miscarry". I answered no to all three and finally she found the yolk sac. Once she did find my baby she mentioned in a not so reassuring tone that my baby was very, very small and the heart rate was only 100 beats per minute. The only think I could remember from the baby book I am reading is that baby's heart rates should be somewhere around 150. I asked her if everything looked ok and her response was "I am not at liberty to answer your questions. You need to speak with your doctor." Basically, that's when I started to freak out. I wasn't scheduled to see my doctor for another hour and a half so I had a long time to sit and think.......and freak out!!

Thankfully when I finally met with my doctor she put me at ease. She told me I am progressing normally and I should not worry. I specifically asked her about the low heart rate and she assured me it was perfect for how far along I am. She said I was lucky to see the heart rate that early on and during the 6th week the ideal heart rate is between 90-110 beats per minute. Those were the best words I heard all day!! To ease my mind she scheduled me for a second ultrasound on Friday May 8 (which is three weeks away). Thank goodness!!

No comments: